Paula E. Litt
EducationHarvard Law School,
University of Chicago,
Ohio State University,
summa cum laude,
Selected Among Illinois Top 10 Super Lawyers (2010)
Ranked in Chambers USA (2008-2011)
Selected Among Illinois Top 100 Super Lawyers (2007-2008, 2010-2013)
Selected Among Illinois Top 50 Women Super Lawyers (2005-2013)
Recommended by Peers for Leading Lawyers Network
Recommended by Peers for Best Lawyers in America
Member of the Firm's Executive Committee
• Participated in securing landmark Illinois Supreme Court decision finding that insurer was estopped to raise late notice defense.
186 Ill. 2d 127 (Ill. 1999)
• Successfully negotiated insurance-funded settlement on behalf of oil well fishing tool manufacturer after insurers denied all coverage for $9 million adverse verdict.
• Successfully negotiated insurance-funded settlement in legal malpractice action following coverage denial.
• Won summary judgment for insureds in actions for indemnification for underlying trademark suit.
• Represented industrial gas manufacturer in underlying suit and coverage litigation in Louisiana culminating in insurance-funded settlement of death and injury cases arising from plant explosion.
• Secured arbitration award for insured's costs to defend and settle underlying trade libel case; won award of all fees incurred by client in litigating coverage.
• Won summary judgment for defendants in copyright suit alleging infringement of story about John Dillinger’s death; won Seventh Circuit affirmance on appeal.
834 F.2d 1297 (7th Cir. 1987)
• Successfully represented plaintiff in first civil RICO case tried to a jury; won Seventh Circuit affirmance of verdict on appeal.
899 F.2d 1537 (7th Cir. 1990)
• Represent international financial institution in litigation with major insurance broker involving $150 million negligent misrepresentation claim.
• Won bench trial representing insolvent company in action against actuarial firm for negligent misrepresentation.
Breach of Right of First Refusal
• Successfully arbitrated action for breach of right of first refusal.
Failed Bank Litigation
• Won summary judgment for receiver of failed savings and loan in action brought by former chairman seeking millions in compensation and benefits under employment agreement.