Robert J. Palmersheim
EducationDePaul University College of Law,
University of Wisconsin - Madison,
Cases Publications Seminars
Robert Palmersheim is a partner at Schopf & Weiss LLP. He concentrates his practice in corporate litigation and legal malpractice defense. He has tried cases in state and federal courts, and has arbitrated cases before the American Arbitration Association, FINRA, and the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution.
Mr. Palmersheim has a national practice representing corporations in disputes involving antitrust, intellectual property, securities, and business torts. Representative matters include:
- Led trial team that represented metals trading company in a three-week fraud and conspiracy trial, in which the jury returned a $5.2 million verdict for the client, including $1.5 million in punitive damages. Prior to trial, obtained discovery sanctions against defendants in excess of $100,000.
- Served as lead counsel for multi-national corporation in several lawsuits asserting securities fraud against financial and banking institutions, resulting in the recovery of more than $50 million.
- Currently defending technology and manufacturing corporation against claims of antitrust violations and unfair competition.
- Obtained $1.7 million judgment for energy services company on breach of contract claim, including more than $500,000 in interest and attorneys’ fees.
- Currently representing technology and manufacturing corporation in patent infringement lawsuit against domestic and foreign corporations.
- Served as lead counsel for multi-national corporation in lawsuit under the Georgia Trade Secrets Act and obtained injunction in Georgia state court that led to the successful resolution of the lawsuit.
- Defended global financial services firm and obtained dismissal of a putative class action lawsuit.
- Obtained complete defense jury verdict for clients on claims brought by financial institution seeking to recover real estate.
- Obtained summary judgment for franchisees on civil racketeering and business tort claims.
- Obtained arbitration award for consortium of pharmaceutical companies on breach of contract claims.
Mr. Palmersheim draws upon his corporate litigation experience while defending some of the nation’s largest law firms in malpractice claims in which the “case within a case” involves complex litigation and corporate transactions. Representative matters include:
- Defended Am Law 10 firm in lawsuit alleging patent litigation malpractice and successfully resolved the lawsuit after obtaining admissions from the plaintiff and its attorney in the underlying lawsuit that undermined lost settlement opportunity theory of recovery.
- Defended Am Law 20 firm against claims that the firm’s attorneys were negligent in estate planning for multi-million dollar estate and obtained dismissal of all claims, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Defended Am Law 10 firm against claims by former partner of the firm who sought indemnification for malpractice claims brought against him. Dismissal of malpractice and third-party claims were affirmed on appeal.
- Represented Am Law 10 law firm in claims by client that the firm was negligent in $25 million loan transaction. Matter was resolved prior to the client filing suit.
- Currently defending Am Law 50 firm in lawsuit alleging that the firm was negligent in the negotiation of a collective bargaining agreement.
Mr. Palmersheim graduated from the DePaul University College of Law in 1996, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and earned a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Wisconsin at Madison in 1990.