Nicholas A. Gowen
Nicholas Gowen represents companies and individuals in disputes involving intellectual property, trade secrets, unfair competition, employment agreements, and other business litigation matters. Mr. Gowen also counsels businesses on ways to avoid litigation and resolve disputes using alternative measures. Mr. Gowen approaches litigation with an eye toward results; understanding that advancing his clients’ litigation strategies should also fit within their overall business interests.
Mr. Gowen is also an educator who has taught for nearly 10 years as a Visiting Instructor of Political Science at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Mr. Gowen is also active in the community as a member of the Project H.O.O.D. Advisory Committee, which seeks to raise funds to build and maintain a multi-million dollar community and economic development center in Chicago’s Woodlawn and Englewood communities. Mr. Gowen has represented numerous pro bono litigants in a variety of civil and criminal matters, as well as providing voter protection services in state and federal elections.
Mr. Gowen is admitted to practice in Illinois and in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, including its Trial Bar, and the U.S. District Courts for Southern District of Illinois and the Southern District of Indiana.
- University of Illinois, College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2003)
- University of Illinois at Chicago (B.A., with honors, 2000)
Phi Beta Kappa
- Visiting Instructor of Political Science at the University of Illinois at Chicago (2005-present)
- Member of the Project H.O.O.D. Advisory Committee
- Honored as one of Chicago's Top 40 under 40 Game Changers for 2012 by Ariel Investments and The Urban Business Roundtable
- Recognized as an "Illinois Rising Star" by Super Lawyers magazine (2008 to 2013)
Protecting Trade Secrets in the Cloud
This article addresses how businesses may avoid the inherent risks of storing valuable trade secrets in cloud-based computing platforms.
Recovering Damages for Trademark Infringement
101 Illinois Bar Journal 148 (March 2013)
This article addresses the ways trademark owners can obtain money damages for trademark infringement when the trademark owner suffers identifiable economic loss or if the infringer is unjustly enriched. [Download]
Crafting Workable Social Media Policies for Corporate Clients
National Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Newsletter (Summer 2012)
This article provides guidance to help corporations create practical and effective social media policies.
Warning: Cloud Could Bring Storm
CPA Insider (February 27, 2012)
This article discusses how to avoid the risks of storing electronic data in cyberspace.
- Defending investors in claims brought by an investment fund alleging breaches of contractual and fiduciary duties and conversion
- Prosecution of false advertising and trade secret claims of behalf of retail supply company
- Prosecution of breach of contract claim on behalf of computer software designer against a professional services provider
- Defended a construction supply company in fraud litigation against an insurance company
- Defended majority shareholder of an L.L.C. in a derivative action brought by minority shareholders who alleged breaches of contractual and fiduciary duties in connection with licensing the use of various trademarks
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Represented a former executive in a trademark infringement action against the software company he founded
- Represented national franchisor in litigation against a former franchisee stemming from continued unauthorized use of trademarks
- Prosecuted copyright infringement actions on behalf of a global manufacturing company against third-party distributors
- Represented a large sporting goods manufacturer in trade secret litigation against a former key employee
- Representing defendants in the Cook County Mortgage Foreclosure Mediation Program.
- Representing employment litigation plaintiffs in Title VII and Section 1981 actions.
- Providing voter protection services during federal and state elections.